Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A simple slave of appetite

I still haven't weighed myself, but I do feel great for all the running. Just wish I could control the urge to stuff my face of an evening. Last night, though, all I ate was an avocado smothered in balsamic dressing and a pack of asparagus, moderately overcooked, swimming in garlicky butter. The kitchen was fragrant with the smell of fried garlic and I felt quite virtuous. However, Joe* came into the kitchen this morning, asked what the awful smell was and, being a bit of a drama queen, made a big show of holding his nose. Hmmph.

I read at the weekend that one's excess body fat is the result of an acid-forming diet and that in order to lose weight we should increase our intake of alkaline-forming foods. One simple way of alkalising your body is to drink the juice of half a lemon daily. As well as citrus fruit, other alkaline-forming foods are green leafy vegetables - no surprise there - sprouted grains and essential fats, especially omega 3. The same article suggested speeding up one's metabolism through exercise - no surprise there either - and by taking a kelp supplement, which contains iodine, essential to enable the hormone thyroxine to function. There's no shortage of kelp in Scotland, so I shall be down the beach on Saturday, stuffing my face.

*a Pea

No comments: