Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Bread and circuses

We have a tradition at work that if it's your birthday you bring in cakes, biscuits, chocolates, crisps and so on for everyone else. Although it's slightly perverse that way round, the tradition is so long established that it would be hard to change.

The problem is trying to resist said goodies when one is trying to lose weight. I've done badly today. On offer were M&S flapjacks, which bear more resemblance to toffee than to the healthsome chunks of oats our mum used to make for special occasions. Suffice to say, the M&S variety are delicious. And irresistible.

I suppose I'm consoling myself, and at the same time rationalising my greed, by thinking of how many calories I must be burning off or reducing by running and by not drinking during the week. However, I don't think I'm going to be weighing myself tonight, despite the fact that I'm one week into my weight-loss programme. I think I may just faint from the shock.

On the subject of bread, and wheat products generally, cutting down on those has made me feel a whole lot better and less bloated. I have yet to resort to wholewheat pasta, which, although anathema to many people, is really not too awful. Especially when teamed with lots of cheese. Yes, I did say cheese.

1 comment:

LottieP said...

There's a school of thought that says it's OK to eat high GI food if you team it with fat - therefore it's OK to eat mashed potato (otherwise a GI no-no) if you lard it with butter (President... mmmm) or to eat pasta if you have it with cheese. It seems slightly counter-intuitive but I quite like this idea!

What's all this about Posh Spice, AKA Skeletor, doing a single-issue food diet? ie each day the dominant food has to be pineapple, or lemons, or whatever?