Saturday, March 25, 2006

Once you pop, you can't stop

A good diet always starts with a vow not to drink alcohol, although some (Fatfighter3, who has thus far been conspicuously absent from this blog, but who is still, I happen to know, successfully abstaining from alcohol and has been doing so since March 1 - Fatfighter3, correct me if I'm wrong!) are better at it than others.

Away on a business trip, I was forced to confront yet again the real reason why avoiding alcohol is essential to a diet - not, or not just, because of the loathsome quantities of sugar swilling in every glass (" it's just empty calories!"), but because with one drink - just one miserable glass of red wine - all my food-based rectitude and healthy abstinence go down the plug and I return to my hotel room, frantically scan the contents of the mini-bar for something healthy, and failing to find it, in quick succession wolf down a large packet of crinkle cut crisps and some ugly-beautiful chocolate-cum-Crunchie-cum-Malteser hybrid called, and I don't think I am making this up, Nobbles.

OK, so it was three, or four, glasses of red wine. But the principle is the same.

Note to hotels: why can't there be cereal or apples or porridge in the minibar?

No comments: