Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Running Woman

I'm sure I'll get bored of posting every day, but I can't contain my excitement at having managed to clamber out of bed in an ungainly fashion at 6am this morning, pull on some tight-fitting Lycra garments and head out into the bitter cold of an East Lothian dawn to run about 7km (4.5 miles). The worst part was the first part: a slight uphill, on-road, and ears burning with cold. After about half a mile the thought crossed my mind that I couldn't go on, but a few minutes later heat spread throughout my body and I began to enjoy the run.

To be honest, what I'm doing is a sort of interval training, or "fartlek" (Swedish for "speed play"). I run for two minutes and walk for one, and so on. Gradually, over the coming weeks, I'll increase the run until I'm not walking at all. On 21 May, I'll run my second 10k in Glasgow, and hope to improve on my PB of 1 hour 1 minute! This morning's run took about 50 minutes, but then there were no steep uphills.

No comments: