Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Danger Mouth and the Larder of Temptation

There are definitely points in the day and circumstances when I'm more vulnerable to the temptation to eat and drink the things that stop me losing weight. I wonder whether if I isolate and analyse those times and circumstances I might be closer to recognising that drift towards alcohol and sugary, floury and/or fatty food. These are a few instances I can think of:

1. The birthday cakes and chocolates at work. Rationale for eating them: a) I didn't buy them so they're "free"; b) When it's my birthday I have to buy cakes and chocolates, so I should get my share the rest of the year; c) They're located conveniently beside my route to the printer.

2. After lunch. The need to eat something sweet after something savoury. No idea where that comes from - probably my dad, who, having turned up at your house conveniently around lunchtime, likes to follow his boiled egg or beans on toast with a cup of tea and something cakey/biscuity.

3. Those sad, lonely evenings when, having put the kids to bed, I console myself over the tragic turn my life has taken by drinking wine and gorging on chocolate (usually), cereal (sometimes) or a pudding (rarely).

What is it about putting things in one's mouth? Why is it that I can't open a packet of something without scoffing the lot in one sitting? I don't even enjoy it after the first couple of mouthfuls. There's some sort of dangerous compulsion at work there. As I think I've said before, I would far rather exercise more than eat less, food being one of the greatest pleasures in life. Sadly, though, age is taking its toll and not only am I more likely now to eat for comfort but I can no longer work it off as easily. I remember being 14, and having trouble "pinching an inch". Now, nearly 26 years later, I must nearly be able to pinch a foot. And as for the pencil test...let's not go there.

No comments: