Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Filo me up

On Sunday night I came face to face with the most devilishly irresistible dessert ever invented. I was at a drinks event in a bar called Cru where they served really tasty finger food like mini crispy duck pancakes and Thai spring rolls, and barbecued prawns with sweet chili sauce, and pocket sized samosas. All fine, and I was ready to eat only in moderation because I had a slice of peanut butter on toast before going out. But then they brought out two platters of the most unbelievable desserts which I would defy anyone, even the most stony-hearted of puritanical dieters, to resist:

1. Brownie fondue: warm chocolate brownies, surrounded by sliced strawberries and blueberries, with a bowl of whipped cream and a bowl of melted chocolate to dip into; and the piece de resistance,
2. Toblerone parcels: Pieces of toblerone wrapped in filo pastry and baked until the top of the parcel is just browned and the chocolate inside just melted, leaving little bits of nutty nougat at the bottom.

What fresh hell is this? I thought to myself as I was forced, compelled, ordered to eat at least four of them.

1 comment:

Anjali said...

Hello! Was this in Hong Kong? Do you have a good recipe for the Toblerone parcels? I love them too :) Thanks!