Thursday, May 25, 2006

Cake That

If there were not already a million compelling reasons why exercise is good for you, here's another. When you exercise regularly, you start feeling more circumspect about what you put in your mouth. This works without even thinking about it: you feel better, and look better, and after all that effort, why would you want to spoil it by stuffing your face, thereby undoing all the good work? Plus exercise makes you feel good, and less inclined to slip into whatever self-pitying bad habits were making you eat badly in the first place.

This isn't a foolproof method, of course, but it certainly applies to me - and what's more it works the other way too. I've been travelling on business for the last four days and I am finding it hard to fit in the time to exercise. I'm up early and get back to the hotel too late, and too hungry because it's too late, to go to the gym. Accordingly, I haven't done any exercise all week. A time to rein back on the bad stuff, you'd have thought. But no! I have been more drawn to reckless eating than at any time over the last few months when I have been exercising almost every day.
Why, I've just eaten half a piece of apple cinnamon cheesecake for no better reason than because it was there. The phrase "what the hell?" should definitely be banned from my interior monologue at times when I am standing in the coffee shop about to order an innocent cup of tea.

No comments: