Monday, May 22, 2006

Don't tell anyone...

...but I bought a diet book on Saturday! (If the amount of money I've spent on diet books reaches £10,000, will I win a prize?)

It looks eminently sensible. No food groups are cut out, the recipes are mouthwatering. And there's none of this "eat as much as you like" tripe. Portion control seems to be the new black in dieting.*

As I read it, I realised how I really knew all this stuff already. The balance of food throughout the day is pretty much what my Granny would have fed me. So I wonder, is this one part of what's gone wrong? Have we got so much choice now that we've forgotten what is good for us and, more importantly, how much of it to eat? For me, food is no longer fuel; it's what I treat myself to. My significant other doesn't understand that; I cannot offer to treat him by cooking him something and, guess what? He's built like a racing split-pin.

* An interesting thing happened today when I was describing the portion control thing to a friend. She said, "How is this news?" How to explain that the first time I read about it, I was almost shocked? But then, she's not spent the past 20 years devouring all the latest "eat all you like and lose all your weight in 30 seconds flat" books. And guess what?...

2 comments:

Claire said...

Let me guess...she's "naturally thin"?

Anonymous said...

You guessed it.