Sunday, January 11, 2009

How to get ahead in advertising

Apparently new research shows that, would you believe it, most women don't actually like the images of skinny white women which are used to peddle fashion to us. We'd rather see a model who, while beautiful and glamorous, looks more like us: not just in terms of shape but age and race too. In other words, more accessible; achievable, not impossible.

Sadly I doubt this will make any difference to the fashion orthodoxy which is that only emaciated women look good in fashion. Start designing some clothes that look good on normal sized women, then. We are the ones who can afford to buy it.

One interesting footnote which will come as no surprise to anyone who's ever lived in Hong Kong: "Aside from women aged under 25, who were less likely to object to an abundance of young, white, ultra-slim models, and Chinese consumers, who actively preferred them, most of those surveyed felt positive towards the brands that used the more diverse models".

2 comments:

Mummy said...

I frequently look at the SCMP magazine and what could be lovely clothes look absolutely dire on the rake thin models. I suspect if I had any idea of how they would look on me I might be more inclined to hunt them down.

I also find shopping online where models are faintly my shape, much easier. Hence I am a huge fan of shopping online at Bravissimo and not Agent P.

LottieP said...

true enough, but you must also have noticed that the fashion photography in the South China is absolutely abysmal.