Saturday, March 07, 2009

Crunch time

You know it's crunch time when.........your size 14 trousers don't stay closed any more, and you have to wear black knickers in case your zip's down without you realising.

Yes, it has come to the point where I need to decide either to lose weight, or to start buying size 16s. It's tempting to go for the latter, because my joyful eating approach, referred to in a comment on another post, is most enjoyable. Unfortunately, it coincided with my decision to stop drinking - or at least cut down drastically - and stop smoking (ditto). I have developed an addiction to evenings spent watching Prison Break and eating Thornton's special toffee.

I lost almost two stone going to Slimming World, but have put all of it back on, and some. I liked the SW approach: if you choose a green day, you can eat as much pasta, rice, potatoes and noodles as you like. The emphasis of the diet is on keeping fat, sugar and bread to a minimum. However, the thought of going back to that diet fills me with an apprehension of boredom...I do so like my Prison Break and toffee diet, and it has kept me off the demon drink.

As for exercise, I cancelled my gym membership because I stopped going when I had a bad back, and couldn't face returning once my back got better. I've been trying to do my (sort of) interval training, but I'm so unfit now that it's more interval than training.

Something has to give, and I suspect it's going to have to be my beloved Thornton's. It's just that I need to have something to look forward to in the evenings, once the boys are in bed. Natural yogurt and berries, or any other healthy "treat", just doesn't do it.

I'll post in a few weeks' time, once I've settled on a possible solution.

2 comments:

LottieP said...

Mmmm... Thornton's Special Toffee. I used to love the one with the hazelnuts in it. Now that reaally was Special.

You need something a bit less ruinous though. What about a spoonful of dulce de leche or caramel sauce with your yogurt and berries? Or you could sprinkle some honey nut cornflakes on top of the yogurt.

Claire said...

Caramel sauce and honey nut cornflakes wouldn't last long in my house, and that's before the Peas even get a look in.

A bowl - or two - of honey nut cornflakes.....surely that's better for me than an entire half pound of special toffee.