Thursday, June 15, 2006

The dog ate my diet

Where is everyone? I've been deserted by my Fatfighter friends.

I told Fatfighter 4 that I'd 'fess up about eating cake at work, so here I am, true to my word. Since being ill, I've abandoned all pretence of being on a diet and have been more or less eating whatever I've felt like. The turning point came on Sunday, at a birthday party to celebrate the Peas' fourth birthday. The Peas' dad had just been dumped by someone much younger and - arguably; actually, irrefutably - prettier than him and decided to take off that morning and drive to the south coast, returning the next day after the party was over. I consoled myself with birthday cake. No, no, I wasn't missing him, but it had been meant to be my weekend "off", and I was tired from the tummy bug.

Cake has led on to other things, for example a curry on Monday night, with lovely fluffy naan bread to mop it up; wine, wine and more wine; a sausage and egg bagel from that place beginning with M; and the aforementioned cake. It has been the most incredible, sunny, warm couple of weeks in Scotland - in other words, summer - and by rights I should be eating salads and drinking copious quantities of water. MaƱana...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've not abandoned you, number 2, but I seem to have abandoned any semblance of a diet. It's two weeks until recess; all I can hope for is not to eat til I burst. Then I'll get back to it. Honest.

LottieP said...

I think one of the keys to successful dieting is not beating yourself up over a lapse. I;ve bene reading a lot lately about the "day off" diet where you can eat anything you want one day a week. It seems to be quite a good idea, as long as you don't overdo it on your day off, becasue you can promise yourself that at the end of the week, you get to eat whatever it is you're craving, so you don't need it now; and you can't actually eat that much in one day.

The way that men generally view food is illuminating: they don't crash into a miasma of shame and despair if they eat something "bad"; they just say to themselves, I won't eat anything unhealthy tomorrow. At least, this is the attitude of the man closest to me, and I am trying to learn something from it.